I know . . . I am sooooooo bad. lol. This is a recipe that I came up with last year when my son and I entered the Cookie Contest for his Cub Scout's Christmas Party. And yes, they were soooooooo good that we actually won. lol. Hope you like them too!
Double Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies
If you like chocolate and candy canes then these cookies will be a delight to bring to your dessert table this Christmas Season. Eat them warm, right out of the oven, or with a tall glass of milk or hot cocoa and you will definitely be going back for more.
3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
4 oz. peppermint candy cane, ground into a powder
4 oz. peppermint candy cane, crushed (Save 2 oz. to sprinkle on cookies)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How to Make:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Start off by grinding the first 4 oz. of peppermint candy cane into a fine powder using a coffee grinder. Then take the other 4 oz. of peppermint candy cane and crush into little pieces using a food chopper/processor. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, candy cane powder, 2 oz. of the crushed candy cane, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg. Then gradually add in the dry ingredient mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Place 1 tablespoon of mixture into rows onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 4 minutes then sprinkle a bit of the extra crushed candy cane on top of each cookie and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes or until done. Remove cookie sheet from oven and let cookies cool for at least 2 minutes then place them onto a cooling rack and let cool.
You don't know what you're missing!!!